Thursday 24 November 2011

Bra Guide - How to Measure Bra Cup and Band Size

Did you know that 7 out of 10 women are wearing the wrong bra size! Popular programs like Oprah and TLC's What to Wear have dedicated entire shows to the topic. I began to wonder if maybe I was wearing the bra size. I decided to do an investigation on behalf of all women in the measurement of bra size. I'm going to paraphrase the most important parts about determining your bra size with two different methods. 
What you need 
Calculate your bra size 
Your favorite bra, flexible tape, trusted friend or associate of the Department of bra, and .... a little math! 
Bra Measurement Method # 1 (Best for medium to large bust) 

Step 1: Put on your favorite bra. 
For the first time in her favorite bra that you think makes your breasts the right shape and feels most comfortable. You will then need to find a flexible measuring tape (the kind a seamstress used). You may also need to grab a trusted friend to help you measure, since it is difficult to keep the tape level around your body. 
Step 2: 
Measure around the rib cage. 
The first step to take is around your ribcage, just below her breasts. Now add 5 to this number for your band size. If the band size is an odd number, you need to round to the next number, even from the support bands only come in even numbers. 
Step 3: 
Measure the fullest part of bust. 
The second measurement should be taken around the fullest part of your chest with your favorite bra. This measure is the size of the cup. Then subtract your band size from cup size to calculate the right cup size. See the table size bra cup down.



Bra Cup Size Chart (Method #1)

<1/2" larger than measurement #2--------------------AA
1" larger than measurement #2------------------------A
2" larger than measurement #2------------------------B
3" larger than measurement #2------------------------C
4" larger than measurement #2------------------------D
5" larger than measurement #2------------------------DD or E
6" larger than measurement #2------------------------DDD or F
7" larger than measurement #2------------------------G
8" larger than measurement #2------------------------H
9" larger than measurement #2------------------------I
10" larger than measurement #2-----------------------J


Bra Measurement Method # 2 (best for small busts average) 

Step 1: 
Use your favorite bra. 
I know it sounds strange (especially if you're using the wrong bra size) to put a bra to fit a bra, but it is the best way to get the most accurate measurement. Choose a bra that is comfortable, fits better and makes your chest properly. 
Step 2: 
Measure around the rib cage to the stripe size. 
Use a flexible tape to measure the circumference of the rib cage just below your breasts. Add 5 inches to this measurement and return to the nearest even number See # 2 for measuring the image on the right. 
Step 3: 
Measure the width of breasts to the size of the FIFA. 
This is what sets the method # Method # 1 2. It tends to be more specific about small breasted women or small, but may work for many sizes of breast. Measurement of the breasts for, from one extreme to another. In other words, from the front exterior of breast volume to each other. Do not wrap around the sides of the breasts. See # 3 of measurement in the image above. See the table below to find your cup size.



Bra Cup Size Chart (Method #2, Measurement #3)

7" measurement #3------------------------A
8" measurement #3------------------------B
9" measurement #3------------------------C
10" measurement #3-----------------------D
11" measurement #3-----------------------DD
12" measurement #3-----------------------DDD or E
13" measurement #3-----------------------F
14" measurement #3-----------------------FF
15" measurement #3-----------------------G


The tables above are only a guide to what size to go in the bra department. You may have to go up or down a band size or cup to get the perfect fit. 

After all my research on finding the right bra size, my measurements put me in the embarrassing category of 32A (UPDATE: after using method # 2 for the measurement, I found the correct size 32B ). I, indeed, the drop in 7 out of 10 women are wearing the wrong bra size. I thought the models have smaller breasts right? It can not be that bad. So I went to the store to try what I thought my bra size measure. 32A The only problem was I was having four breasts (you know the double bubble-affect) instead of two! I was back to square one and I was wondering what's my bra size?

15 comments:

Mobile App Development said...

Fantastic blog and love this blog because this is the best way for me.

Android App Development said...

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

Claraa said...

Hi, you actually shouldn't add any inches to your underbust measurement to get your starting size, because the band is supposed to do 80-90% of supporting and the straps only 10-20%. The add 5/6 method was developed when bra materials didn't stretch, and now they do! A size 32 band is 28 inches unstretched generally, but it's NOT supportive for my 28 inch ribcage. The band stretches to about 32-33.5 inches in general, which is enough room for someone with a 32 inch ribcage and will support them much better than the 36 this method would put them in!

Claraa said...

(for reference, my measurements are 27-28 underbust (you do add one inch if it's an odd number, or subtract, depending on how snug you like your bands to be.) and 36 bust, making me a 28F. I generally wear a 30E (DDD), because that's what I used to measure at and I can't afford a new set of bras for one band size difference and cup svolume staying the same. This measurement method of adding 5-6 puts me in a 34B, which would both ride up my back a bunch and cause TONS of spillage on the top and sides of the cup.)

Web Development Delhi said...

I would like to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include almost all important information. I’d like to see more posts like this.

Unknown said...

Dude.. I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. Its amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often. -
components of fitness
female fitness models
fitness courses
fitness boot camp

Picnic Locations in Gurgaon said...

I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

Places to Hangout in Gurgaon said...

I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

Setup Business in Delhi said...

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

Launch Business in Delhi said...

I read few articles and I believe that your weblog is very interesting and contains lots of great information.

App Developers Gurgaon said...

I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

app development company said...

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

Buy Contact Lenses said...

Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

Buy Contact Lenses said...

very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

GST Registration Delhi said...

I like your approach on the topic. Your article is as interesting as your previous writings. Keep up the good work, thanks a lot.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...